Dancing with Devils is an anthology looking to blend spells/rituals/magic with sex.
Published under Red Ferret Press
Payment: $0.005 per word.
Word Count: up to 8000 words. It's rare that I look at anything over. If we're talking 100 words over that's ok, but not much more than that. And I typically don't include your title in your word counts.
Deadline: November 30, 2020.
This anthology will be released Summer or Fall 2021
This anthology is seeking authors who identify as LGBTQ+. Please note that this is not a space for allies. We are seeking queer authors. Additionally, we would love to see queer authors of color, authors with disabilities submit to this anthology.
This submission call is for stories containing anthropomorphic characters otherwise known as Furry. I'm not really looking for human characters here, and if they do exist I would prefer they remain in the background of the story.
Here's what I don't want
- Straight Narratives. This is something you can find anywhere and has been boring to sit through. Most media you see incorporates a heternormative take on things like relationships, family, societal structure, and honestly I'm tired of it. I'm tired of straight people being the focus. Send me works that go against this; that say "fuck all straight people."
- Fiction that contains racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, non-consensual/rape. Just because a character is queer, does not mean you have to stereotype them. Oh and white people who think it's ok to incorporate AAVE (African-American Vernacular English) into their white coded characters? Fuck off, I ain't here for that either. Cultural appropriation has no place in this anthology. If you need help figuring out what that is, check out this twitter thread below. https://twitter.com/blueivyslave/status/1289371334384816128
- Fetishization of Trans characters, characters of color, and characters with disabilities will not be tolerated.
- Non-Consent/Rape. This includes dubious consent. The magic you use and create in your world should be a part of the relationship between your characters not a tool to make the relationship work or start a relationship.
Here's what I'll be cautious about
- Gay cisgender male narratives. You are welcome to submit stories containing cisgender characters, but I feel queer media has focused a lot on Cis Gay White Male narratives. Although a story or two might get picked up by this anthology containing Cis Gay Male characters, I really would like to have a diverse collection of work.
- Use of demons in your work. I know the anthology is called Dancing with Devils, and I would definitely be down for you using demons in your fiction. But I'd like to see something different than your typical sex with Satan tale. Satan is a commonly used character, and I think you'll find other demons/gods/occult characters that are way more interesting.
Here's what I would like to see
- Trans Characters
- Characters with disabilities
- Characters not coded as white
- A strong understanding of the magic in your world